Great article by my fitness coach, Holly Rigsby
Seems everyone has a list these days. Well I have one of my own that not only works for me, but for hundreds of Fit Yummy Mummy’s as well. These foods will not only help your body burn more calories but they are delicious, affordable and EASY to prepare. So print out this list and Get Energized!
1. High Fiber Cereal - look for 5 grams or more of Fiber and no more than 8g of sugar. It’s good to have at least one hot cereal (rolled oats) and one cold (Kashi Go Lean Crunch).
2. Apples - Okay, any fresh fruit will do, but apples are so easy to grab and go, we always have them on hand. Make it easy on yourself and have at least 2 different fresh fruits you can choose to eat each day. This week I have apple slices and grapes on hand.
3. Almonds - Your “portable protein” – the perfect emergency snack or pair it up with a fruit or veggie. High in metabolism-boosting Protein and Healthy Fats. But it is easy to eat too many – measure out 1/4 cup servings and stick in a snack size baggie.
4. Eggs - Yes, they ARE good for you. They are considered the gold standard of protein quality because of their superior amino acid content. It takes less than 3 minutes to prepare an egg.
5. Spinach - This super veggie goes with everything. At only 5 calories per cup how could it not?! Use in omelets, wraps, salads, side dishes…the list goes on.
6. Yogurt - great source of protein and the live cultures help boost immunity. It goes great with Kashi Go Lean Crunch or other high fiber cereals. HOWEVER: Avoid choosing brands that contain added sugar – especially High Fructose Corn Syrup. Read the ingredients!
7. Grilled Chicken - okay this is tied with frozen wild salmon filets (loaded with omega-3′s.) One of the easiest, most versatile “meal makers” available. I’ll have to share the many ways chicken can be prepared just to prove it is not boring to eat!
8. Black Beans - Packed with the leanest protein and very high in fiber – and only $.75 a can – how can you go wrong? Beans are a great alternative to those who feel like they are eating the same protein day in and day out.
9. Salsa - yes, tomatoes have wonderful health benefits, but in salsa form they also work well to add low cal, energizing flavor to your meals. From eggs, to rice and beans and even as a salad dressing. Choose a spicy variety and get the added metabolism-boosting kick from Capsaicin – the chemical in peppers that gives them their bite.
10. Green Tea - A Morning Must. Now I used to be an avid Starbucks fan….but the extra calories and ton of sugar completely sabotaged my results. Green tea was the perfect replacement. It has a lower level of caffeine and loaded with EGCG. (studies show this ingredient causes your brain and nervous system to run more quickly- helping you burn more calories.) BONUS: It enhances your mood as well.
Naomi Trower AKA